Resource Hacker is a small but excellent tool to modify system files like DLL, EXE, CPL, etc. You can even change Windows look by editing various Windows files and replacing their resources using Resource Hacker. It’s a portable application, so you don't need to install it. Simply extract the ZIP file and run the extracted EXE file.
When you open a file in Resource Hacker, it shows various directories in left-side pane, like:
- AVI - Contains AVI files
- Cursor - Contains Cursor files
- Bitmap - Contains BMP files
- Icon - Contains Icons
- Menu - Contains Menus
- Dialog - Contains Dialog boxes
- String Table - Contains Strings
- Accelerators - Contains Shortcut keys
- Version Info - Contains Version information of the file
You can view resource present in the file by expanding the directory given in left-side pane and clicking on the name of the resource. Each resource contains 3 important attributes:
- Resource Type
- Resource Name
- Resource Language
- Excellent tool to modify resource in system files like DLL, EXE, CPL, etc.
!!! WARNING !!!
Improper modification in resource hacker can be Dangerous for your system and it can make your system not working.